Summer seems to be ending for us at a frenetic pace! Last week I sat down and filled in our family schedule with all of the pre-school orientations for both kindergarten and high school, volleyball fittings and hockey practices….it was alarming! It’s starting to look like our whole month of August is going to be a mad dash from one place to another. Thank goodness for fast and hearty weeknight meals like this Summer Love Salad loaded with my favorite citrus laced Quinoa Cakes!
I love the simplicity of a giant supper salad! You have your veggies, your greens and your protein all jiving together on one gigantic platter. I just can’t get enough of them lately and thanks to my friends at Taylor Farms my favorite summer dinner just got a whole lot easier. Their Chef Crafted Salads are genius! It’s all the lovely veg and greens you need to make one epic supper salad without a lot of bits and bobs leftover.
With 6 Chef Crafted salad kits to choose from you could literally eat a different supper salad almost every day of the week! I fell in love with this Summer Love Salad as soon as I saw it – kale, broccoli, mini bells and carrots are all great companions for a big batch of citrus spiked quinoa cakes and a creamy lemon vinaigrette, don’t you think?
Summer salad at its absolute best!
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- ½ cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- ¼ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 cups cooked quinoa, I used multi-colored but any kind will work
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Finely grated zest of 2 medium lemons
- 3 tablespoons grape seed oil or olive oil
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- ¼ cup parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate vinegar
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- pinch of cayenne
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Taylor Farms Chef Crafted Summer Love Salad kits, mini bells sliced thin
- 1 medium jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 (7-ounce) package Greek feta in brine, sliced into bite sized pieces
- Coarsely chop the garlic in a food processor. Add the parsley and basil then pulse until finely chopped. Add the chickpeas and 1 teaspoon coarse salt and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Ina large bowl combine the chickpea mixture with the quinoa, Parmesan cheese, eggs and lemon zest until well combined. Spray a ¼-cup measuring cup with cooking spray, then press the quinoa mixture into the measuring cup, smooth the top, and invert to release the cake onto a plate. Repeat with the remaining millet mixture. You should have about 10-12 cakes.
- Heat 1-1/2 Tbs. of the grape seed oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering hot. Add 4 or 5 of the cakes and use a spatula to gently flatten the cakes so they’re about ¾ inch thick. Cook, flipping once, until crisp and golden brown on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Add the remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons grape seed oil to the skillet and cook the remaining cakes the same way.
- Combine the red onion, parsley leaves, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, zest and cayenne in a food processor and pulse until combined. Add the olive oil and pulse to combine. Add the sour cream, season with salt and pepper and process for 30 seconds until creamy.
- Arrange the Taylor Farms Chef Crafted Summer Love Salad kits on large platter and top with the sliced mini bells, marinated artichoke hearts and Greek feta. Serve with the prepared dressing and quinoa cakes on the side.