Are you tired of cookies yet? I certainly hope not, because it is only day 4 of our 12 days of Gluten Free Cookies and these Sprinkled Italian Cookies are the best yet!
If I had to pick a cookie out of the 12 days line up this year that really puts a smile on my face, this is the one. I mean, seriously who doesn’t like sprinkles?
All of the colors of the rainbow in every bite, what’s not to love?! Plus, my kids don’t mind rolling balls of cookie dough in a bowl full of sprinkles which means less work for me. Whooppee!!
Go ahead, gather your sprinkle fairy’s and bake a batch of smile inducing cookies – you know you want to!
- ¾ cups lightly toasted pine nuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup almond paste
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla or almond extract
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1¼ cups gluten free sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor combine ¾ cup pine nuts, the confectioners' sugar, almond paste, and vanilla extract. Then process until fine crumbs form. Add the egg and pulse until incorporated. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt; process the ingredients until the dough comes together.
- Roll the dough into balls about ¾ - inch big then roll the balls of dough in the sprinkles. Gently press the sprinkles into the dough and place on the prepared baking sheets with 2 inches of space between each cookie.
- Bake the cookies approximately 15 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the cook time. The cookies should be golden brown. Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheets on wire racks. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.