There are a handful of ingredients that never get old to my taste buds. I could literally eat them everyday, all day, and you will never hear me complain. Tomatillos, avocados, hatch chiles, red onion, garlic, and cilantro are all ingredients that make me dance with excitement and I cannot go a full day without having at least one if not all of them.
Last week when all of my favorite ingredients came in the same CSA delivery I couldn’t resist; I had to make a big batch of roasted hatch chile and tomatillo salsa! This time though I decided to add avocado to the mix which imparts an amazing creaminess to the salsa verde that I just love. This recipe is easy to make, fast to whip up, and totally addictive.
- ½ pound tomatillos, husks removed and washed
- 1 large hatch chile pepper
- 1 small tomato
- scant ¼ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 ripe avocado, pit removed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small clove garlic
- heaping ½ cup of chopped cilantro
- salt to taste
- Preheat the broiler with an oven rack about 4-5 inches from the heating element. Line a sheet pan with tin foil and roast the tomatillos, hatch chile, and the tomato under the broiler until they are blackened in spots, about 5 minutes. Flip the vegetables over and roast the other side for another 3-5 minutes.
- In a blender combine the roasted tomatillos, tomato, and their juices. Remove the stem from the hatch chile and peel the loosened skin from the flesh then add the pepper to the blender. Add the onion,flesh of the avocado, lime juice, garlic, cilantro and salt to taste