The act of dipping, slathering and schmearing food in a decadent sauce really takes the whole experience of eating to the next level, am I right?! Look, I love food in general, but when you put an amazing sauce in front of me you are really starting to speak my love language.
This hibiscus cashew cream is the latest recipe on the site to be inspired by edible flowers. The tart and tangy flavor of the hibiscus is tamed by the addition of earthy sweet roasted beets, cashews and a little vegan beef broth. This sauce is great on our Crispy Black Bean Taco Cups, but it is also mind blowingly good with a simple crudite.
- 1 cup raw cashews, pour boiling water over the cashews and soak for 2-4 hours
- 1¼ cups boiling water
- ¼ cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 small clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup chopped roasted beets
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- zest of 1 lime plus 1 tablespoon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon Massel All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning Granules, beef flavored, if you don't have Massel use 1 vegan beef bouillon cube, crumbled to a powder.
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews and place in a blender.
- Pour the boiling water over the hibiscus leaves and allow to steep for 5-8 minutes.
- Pour the liquid and the hibiscus leaves into the blender with the cashews. Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend until completely smooth.