Let me introduce you to my favorite salad on the entire face of the planet. This Autumn Cobb Salad and the Turmeric Poppy Seed Dressing that goes with it are pretty much fall on a plate. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t totally hooked! This salad is just perfect for the Thanksgiving table, but it is an even better way to use up those leftover morsels from your feast in the days that follow Thanksgiving.
I know, saying a salad is addictive is a bit odd, because let’s face it, it’s freaking salad! But, this supper sized salad packed with all of those different flavor packed bits and bobs just seems to get better with every single bite. I honestly don’t know what I like best the roasted squash, candied pecans, tangy feta, tart pickled cranberries…I could go on and on here!
This salad and all of its components would be a stand out meal on its own with a simple olive oil and citrus vinaigrette, but if you want to really kick this bad boy up a notch do yourself a favor and make the turmeric poppy seed dressing that goes with it. Not only is it the most colorful dressing to ever grace our dinner table, but the perfectly balanced flavors compliment this over the top salad just perfectly, letting every single ingredient shine through without trying to overpower them.
- 1 (10-ounce bag) cruciferous salad blend, I used Trader Joe's Cruciferous crunch with Brussels, broccoli, kale and cabbage
- ½ bunch of kale, about 6 large leaves, stems discarded and leaves thinly shredded
- 1½ cups roasted winter squash, I used delicata squash
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, thinly shredded
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, cut into wedges
- 1½ cups candied pecans
- ½ cup lightly salted pepitas
- ¼ cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup sweet dried mandarins, roughly chopped
- ½ cup pickled cranberries
- ½ cup feta, sliced into small wedges or crumbled
- juice of 2 small oranges
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 jarred roasted red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 green onions, quartered
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon freshly peeled and grated turmeric OR ½ teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Toss the cruciferous mix and the thinly shredded kale together on a large platter to combine. Arrange the roasted squash, celery, carrots, wedges of egg, pecans, pepitas, dried cherries, dried mandarins, pickled cranberries and feta in rows across the top of the greens. Serve immediately with dressing or cover with plastic wrap and store for up tp 1 day.
- Combine the orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, roasted red bell pepper, green onions, salt and turmeric in a high powder blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a jar and add the poppy seeds. Secure a lid tightly on the jar then shake to combine. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The dressing will separate in the fridge, simply shake to combine.