There are some flavors that are just meant to go together. When they hit your taste buds they meld together in perfect harmony without overpowering or fighting with one another. You get the pleasure of distinctively noticing each little flavor note because one simply builds up the other instead of trying to take center stage. No fighting or overpowering one another they just happily exist.
The flavors in this fall salad do just that. You can taste each ingredient from the apple and fennel to the toasted walnuts individually, but when you put them together all in one bite it’s pure magic. This salad is simple to make, looks great on a platter or simply tossed in a big bowl, and really showcases one of fall’s finest gems-the apple.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 small apples, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1 cup micro greens
- 2-3 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel
- 2 tablespoons fennel fronds
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped tarragon
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Fill a large mixing bowl with cold water. Add the tablespoon of lemon juice and the apple slices. This will keep the apples from browning.
- Spread the baby spinach and micro greens out on a large platter, scatter the sliced celery, fennel, fennel fronds, and walnuts over the top of the greens.
- Remove the apples from the lemon water and dry in a salad spinner or with paper towels. Tuck the apple slices in between the spinach leaves and across the top of the salad.
- In a mason jar combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, tarragon, lemon juice, and sugar. Seal the lid tightly and shake vigorously until the mixture is emulsified. Serve immediately.